You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus - Mark Twain

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Favorite Photographers

My favorite photographers usually are portraitists in one sense or another. They are, in no particular order:

  • Francesco Scavullo, specifically the portraits from the book Scavullo Women (of which I own 2 copies)

  • Sally Mann
  • Marilyn Minter-supersaturated color, pretty+dirty
  • Nick Brandt, but the portraits are lions
  • Gian Paolo Barbieri (Tahitian Tattoos 1999)

  • Michael Thompson

  • Terry Richardson!) Juergen Teller started it, but Richardson finished it, and Yes, it's true, you can't buy talent in a camera store

  • Chuck Close-true, they are paintings that look like photos that look like paintings that look like photos, and now, tapestries that look like photos, 12ft giants!

Re: Terry Richardson

You know, when I first started taking pictures, the only camera I had I borrowed from my mother. It was a point and shoot film camera. And I was shooting assignments with it (gasp). Some of my favorite, and I feel, best pictures I ever took were with that camera. Here is a self-portrait from that time:


Snappies let you do things you could never do with an SLR. With a P&S, it's just you, the camera and the subject, so your whole mind is on is this going to make a good/interesting/pretty/image. Pinhole "purists" may scoff at the AF, but for me it is still getting back to basics. Film +lack of control=less chances to get it right=better pictures. Try it as an exercise; I am this week and will post the pictures by week's end.

Yes, I was very thin here, size 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment